Gold-Fill Jewelry Care
Let's talk about 14K gold-fill jewelry! We know it's not the same as solid gold, but we are extremely confident that our 14K gold-filled jewelry is top quality. So, when it comes to the durability and longevity of our gold-filled products we know they can last you a lifetime. This makes 14K gold-filled jewelry a beautiful and affordable option. Our goal here is to offer the best advice on how to keep your jewelry in great condition while taking into account the realities of day-to-day life.
What is 14K Gold- Fill?
- Gold-fill jewelry is different from gold-plated jewelry. Gold-fill jewelry has a layer of gold pressure-bonded to quality jewelers brass and contains 5% gold by weight. That’s 100x more gold than gold-plated! Gold plated jewelry contains 0.5% gold by weight and is created through a process called electroplating (a far less durable process).
- Gold plated items often have such a thin layer of gold, it easily wears away with daily wear. Gold-filled jewelry will never fade, wear away, or chip off. If your jewelry ever develops a tarnish (which is normal!) it can be easily cleaned or polished off.
- Our 14K gold-fill jewelry is also lead and nickel free, which are the most common materials to cause allergic reactions to jewelry. So even those with sensitive skin can enjoy wearing our 14K gold fill jewelry!
So, how can you make your gold-fill jewelry last?
PART 1: What Does Your Jewelry Touch?
- 14K gold-fill jewelry can last a long time. But there are a few chemicals that may cause the gold to darken more quickly than it should (if it is left on the surface). Some of these chemicals are found in;
- POOLS & HOT TUBS: the chemicals that are used to keep pools and hot tubs clean don't mix well with gold-filled jewelry and will cause tarnishing.
- BODY CHEMISTRY: hormones vary from person to person and for some people, less than 10% of people, their body chemistry may not mix well with 14K gold-fill so you will see jewelry tarnishing a bit quicker. Unless you know how your body reacts to 14K gold-fill, the only way to find out is to try it.
- SWEAT: sweat contains all kinds of chemicals and salt, both of which create a harsh environment for your jewelry. So, while exercising it is best to take your jewelry off. Your Megen Gabrielle jewelry will be waiting for you when you get back!
- PRODUCTS: This includes things like beauty products, perfumes, lotions, nail polish remover, etc. It is best to minimize these products ending up on our jewelry. You can do this by putting on your jewelry last or taking it off while using these products.
- SUNSCREEN: sunscreen is not a friend of 14K gold-fill. It is always best to avoid getting sunscreen on your jewelry, it is one of the worst culprits in this category. If you do get some sunscreen on your jewelry, read about cleaning below!
PART 2: Cleaning Your Jewelry
- Day to Day Care: it never hurts to give your jewelry a little rinse in lukewarm water, then dry it with a soft cloth. This helps remove oils, makeup, dirt, or small encounters with a product.
- Deep Cleaning: If you know your jewelry was exposed to more than a normal amount of sunscreen, sweat, a product, or a chemical it is a good idea to give it a deep clean as soon as possible! All you need is warm water, an ultra-soft toothbrush, and mild soap.
- Get a bowl of warm water and add a small amount of mild soap (we use Dr. Bronner's!).
- Let your jewelry soak for about a minute.
- Then gently give it a scrub with an ultra-soft toothbrush, which is perfect for getting into the areas where things build up.
- Rinse your jewelry in warm water a few times to make sure all the soap is off.
- Dry your jewelry well with a soft cloth. This is especially important before storing it! Read about storing your jewelry below.
PART 3: Storing Your Jewelry
- What is the best way to store your gold-fill jewelry?
- First, always store your jewelry clean and dry.
- Store your pieces in something airtight. This greatly decreases the risk of tarnishing. Using a clean ziplock bag or a small airtight container is a great way to achieve this!
- Store everything in a low humidity environment.
- Avoid tangles by storing items in small containers and closing all clasps.
- If you are traveling and need some extra protection for your jewelry we recommend storing items in ziplock bags and putting them all into a hard container.
14K gold-fill jewelry is a great alternative to solid gold. It’s just as beautiful, more affordable, and can last you a lifetime! If you have any questions for us, please do not hesitate to reach out!